Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Where's ya funny bone Harry?

Seems like when it rains it pours, lately i have been kept busy with a number of old time music gigs in nursing homes, Hell you don't get young screamers moshing and running the stage but hell these guys appreciate their hour of entertainment.

Barry and Speedy are guitarists, great blokes, who dress up in Mexican gear and play the oldies their favorite tunes whilst I follow along on the keys. In addition to this, they add a touch of corny humour to the act with jokes and witty interchange between members.

One show last Friday gave me a moment of joy as I saw a elderly lady holding on to her walker, and dancing along to the music. It's so good to see an audience enjoying what you have to offer.

Just before the show, I got a call from an old drummer mate, who was asking whether I was interested in joining a swing / jazz band. The word Jazz always fills me with fear, though I thought it would be a good opportunity to improve my technique and learn some songs that I would otherwise shy away from, we have had one rehearsal since then, and the band made me feel real comfortable, and there was really no problem, I coped well (jazzphobia and all).

Last Saturday night was Johnny O'Keefe night at Fingle Bay RSL on the North Coast of NSW, and I got a call late Friday afternoon as to whether I would be interested in joining the band for the night on Keys, though it was a 4 hour trip there and back, I agreed, and enjoyed a night of playing 50's-60's rock for a appreciative audience, once again it was great to see people dancing and enjoying the music.

I was outside in the beer garden having a drink before the show dressed in full black attire, and one of the patrons asked me if I was part of the band. I replied no, and that I was a member of a cult called the "Connicks" who went around in all black except for our faces. Not sure if she got the joke or thought I was serious.

The year is quickly filling up with gig bookings, as it usually does around this time, so I will be quite busy performing, and probably will not have much time to compose stuff, but then again, I
might just surprise you all.

Cheers

Ecca

No comments: